These aims really fit with our own, so we were pleased to take up their offer to speak at an event geared to supporting businesses to develop their digital footprint through using social media. It was a great event, well attended (probably about 80 businesses there in all), and packed with social media know-how from brand agency Better and Flint Consulting.
So why was Space on Tap asked to speak, you may well ask! Apparently because we had been recognised as a business that's positively incorporated social media into our marketing strategy. Or, in other words, they'd noticed that we tweet a canny bit :)
OK, so here we go with our Top Ten Twitter Triumphs since we started tweeting in May/June 2010.
|Follow us @spaceontap|
2. We stuck with it. We did get a lot of resistence from people around us in the beginning. Being just the right side of 50 my peers weren't really social media types! Understandably they saw the perils of socialising on facebook more than the opportunities of promoting a business through twitter. Our triumph is that we ignored the doubters and some of them are now our converts :)
3. The numbers. We know that volume's often seen as vanity, but for us, at least at first, it was a numbers game. We needed profile and that meant a large community. As most of our community is in the North East and we connect with many of our followers offline as well as online we think it's now quality as much as quantity. Anyway for interest's sake here are the numbers. Over our 2 Twitter accounts @spaceontap and @colleaguesontap we have a total of 3,313 followers, mainly in the North East, we're featured on 85 lists and we've sent a total of 4,938 tweets.
4. Brand Profile. Space on Tap is a relatively early stage business, but through Twitter we've managed to secure a profile fairly quickly. We often meet Twitter followers at exhibitions and events, and after only 6 months in business we were told by a follower that they thought we'd been around for at least a couple of years considering awareness of our brand.
5. Added value for Customers. Twitter is now embedded into our service offering - we're in the business of promoting space, so Twitter's added value to our space marketing strategy.
Colleagues on Tap Associate Scheme.
10. Adding to the team. Last, but certainly not least, is what could be classed as our biggest triumph through Twitter. Within 4 minutes of a tweet last year calling out for someone to help me to grow Space on Tap, I'd found Joanne, our trusty Operations Manager who has been with me ever since. Twitter created a platform for us to connect, via a mutual follower (and Joanne's friend), and our story was then featured in Woman & Home magazine in a feature article about unique ways of finding a job, so more media profile thanks to Twitter :)
So that's it - our Top Ten Twitter Triumphs, so far .... Through realising the impact we've had with Twitter, we're now investing more time in extending our use of social media, and of course we're still learning all the time!
To finish, here's a quick video courtesy of Service Network with 3 top tips on using Twitter from yours truly, and if you want to know more about the who, what, where and how of Twitter from Space on Tap get in touch.